Friday, December 16, 2011

Oh, the Funny Things People Do for Their Pets!

By Julia Williams

Much has been written, here and elsewhere, about the funny things pets do. It stands to reason, since they always seem to be doing things that make us laugh. However, I haven’t seen much about the funny things people do for their pets. I have thought about it though, mostly because I wondered if I was alone in my quirkiness. As it turns out, I’m not the only one who does things for their pet that others – particularly the non-pet crowd – would find funny, odd, silly and/or kooky. How do I know this? I queried a group of my pet loving friends, and a few were even brave enough to tell me about some of the funny things they do for their pets! I’ll share their confessions with you, but first, some of mine:

When Annabelle is asleep on my computer chair, rather than move her I will sit on the very edge. No, it’s not the least bit comfortable sitting on an inch of chair, but Princess Annabelle doesn’t seem to notice my discomfort as she snoozes away. And if there’s a sleeping cat on my lap, I won’t move them for anything. If I should happen to become ravenously hungry or need to use the bathroom, woe is me…but the sleeping cat remains undisturbed until they decide to wake up.

Speaking of sleeping, with three cats occupying their favorite spots on my bed at night, I often find myself in Cirque Du Soleil-worthy contortionist positions because, well, they sleep where they want to sleep even if that leaves little room for me! If I need to get up in the night, I slide up slowly, inching my way toward the headboard until I can get up without disturbing the cat. That’s normal, right?

I forego vacuuming not because the carpet doesn’t need it, but because the loud noise of the “suck monster” scares the bejeebies out of my cats. I open cans of soup outside on the porch, but this is mostly for my benefit. I feel guilty when my cats come running at the sound of the can opener, because I know it’s not their FELIDAE and – persistent meowing notwithstanding – I have absolutely nothing for them. Of course, cats have supersonic hearing, so when I come inside with soup in hand I usually discover them waiting in the kitchen.

Here’s what others had to say:

Langley Cornwell: Our neighbor puts rain booties on her schnauzer during even the lightest drizzle. We always get a chuckle out of it.

Caren (Cat Chat): I have gotten on the floor on “all fours” in an attempt to teach Dakota the word “down”....I was the one performing the action while he stood there watching me like I was insane. I am. He still doesn't know the word “down.” I have lain in a ridiculously uncomfortable position for HOURS, not daring to move, lest I disturb my blissfully sleeping cat!

Sue Woltze: My husband Paul has great ceremonies every single day; we get the “welcome home Daddy biscuit,” the “after-dinner biscuit,” the “good morning biscuit,” the “time to go out biscuit,” the list goes on. Fortunately it's a small piece of chicken jerky, otherwise we'd have hugely fat dogs. Every night our cat Balloo gets on the bathroom sink, Paul turns on the water and says “I now baptize you in the name of the Cat-father, the Cat-son and the Cat-holy spirit, the Cat-stanipole, the Cat-nip, the Cat-saskatchewan, the Cat-acombs, on and on, while dumping water on Balloo's head. They are both insane.

Jenn Martin-Ilo: I've foregone sitting in my own computer chair so my cats could remain there comfortably. Instead I kneeled on the floor and did my work on the computer. Once, when I was on the phone with my Gramma, Squeaky started hacking. I freaked out because he'd never done it before. I made my Gramma wait on the phone while I patted Squeaky's back and tried to comfort him until he got that furball out.

Beaded Tail: Everything stops if my cat Angel wants to be held! She likes to be picked up like a child and then lays over my shoulder so I can scratch her back. She'd stay there all day if she could! The only way to get her down is to go to her treat drawer.  I'll get up in the middle of the night if my cat cries in the bathroom for the faucet to be turned on so she can drink. When a cat is under the covers with me, I will not move no matter what body part is going numb until the cat decides on her own to move!

Karen Nichols: We have movie night every night.... Mr. Tasty Face sets up squirrel and bird movies for Skeezix to watch on the iPad. I take Skeezix to the Hardware store and Rite Aide just so he can ride in the shopping carts, which he LOVES.

Mr. Puddy: Mom always laughs when Daddy uses his face to rub my head like he is a cat. With Mommy, every time I eat I need her to be there. If she leaves me alone with my bowl, I go get her and she will come to pet me and sing while I'm eating. This is her song.... “Bimbee Puddy...Mommy love you...Piggy Puddy...Love you kiddo.” Repeat till I'm done.

Jamie Richardson: My Mom's cat, Oscar, has to be petted before he'll eat his crunchies! He will scratch the back of your leg if you don't pay attention to him!

Christine MacGregor: My mother custom designed the windows in our last house so our two dogs would have a fantastic view outside and a ledge for them to jump on that was at a perfect height for a westie. When we sold the house we got asked a lot if there was a reason our windows were so enormous and so low to the ground.

Trish (Katnip Lounge): For years we acquired a cat per year as they would show up and stare with sad faces in through the back patio door, hungry and homeless. We'd put food out, and eventually Scott wouldn't be able to stand it and they would come in. He built the Catio so the strays couldn't stare in the back window. They started staring in the FRONT window instead!

Sue (Island Cats): Sometimes I'll wake up in the morning and my cat Ernie will be snuggled up next to me, sound asleep. You should see me trying to get out of bed without disturbing him! I have to be a contortionist!

Kevin (Animal Shelter Volunteer): Our sofa is a “first come, first served / you snooze, you lose” zone. If the cats are sprawled out on it, we'll often try to squeeze in without disturbing them OR find somewhere else to sit.

Photo by Dave Dugdale

Read more articles by Julia Williams

22 comments:

  1. Let's see - definitely no getting up with a sleeping cat on your lap. Mom also sleeps in some strange positions to accomodate us. And the faucet at the shelter is often left on when volunteers are there since several cats like to drink out of it. Mom discovered she is truly a cat lady the day she found Tim sleeping in the bathroom sink and walked down the hall to wash her hands rather than disturb him. MOL Nice to read she is not alone....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! So who rules the house? The pets do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also squeeze onto a cushion of a chair because my pet is there! It is pretty funny now that I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't see anything silly about any of those things that people do for their pets. We do all those and more. The cats and dogs are the best thing in my life so of course I will cater to them. Nothing wrong with that. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We certainly know who rules the roost! These were fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah!! mine do rule the house,the car the bed,the yard.oh! and the toys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an incredibly FUN and heart warming post this was!!!

    I laughed at Puddy's...actually I act like a cat with cody too...rubbing his head with my nose like I am grooming him lol. Puddy's Mom singing to him is priceless! I would love to see that on video.

    Trish from Katnip Lounge made me laugh at what they went through only to have the cats looking in the front window instead!

    You on your chair...I have done that as well. Your opening a can of soup on the porch. Too funny.

    Only pet people would "get this" We think of their needs BEFORE ours all of the time!

    Thank you for including us in this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha. I love this post, Julia, especially because it's clear we're not the only kooky ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! Everything in our house revolves around us!! And our mom and dad-guy know it!!

    This was a fun post...thanks for including our mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMC !!!! I laugh so hard !!! I guess this is the time to change the word " Pet " to be " Big Boss "...Ha..Ha...Ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've cleared off the top of my filing cabinet because it's Blanche's favourite place to sit and watch me when I'm on the PC. Previously it was a place for fragile things.

    Now I'm rearranging the house so she has jumping spots without breaking things.

    I have piece of cardboard and a paper bag on the floor because both she and Leanne like to sit on paper. And chew it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made my night. It cheered me up and I think you and everyone for it.

    I NEVER got to sit in the old OR my new comuter chair hardly ever. Admiral was always in here. I tried sharing but I got glared at. So I go get the three legged wooden stool and I perched on that for tweeting or any computer work as blogging and so on.

    I never got to sit in the new platform rocker as someone else slept in it. When she wasn't there she was in the office chair. OR on MY side of the bed, not hers, with her treasured beautiful head on MY pillow. (It was an honor for me to share with her).

    I have gone numb, lame and frozen or burned up depending on the season..itched somewhere, you name it, and I would nto move lest I disturb her. She was the Boss of me and the household, I will miss her till the day I myself go to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *MOL*
    It pretty much works the same way in my house in Sweden too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL it's the same for crazy cat people the world over. When I go to the bathroom in the night, I won't turn any light on and I creep, creep, creep on tip toe, so Austin doesn't hear me and start his night time yodelling and wake up the whole street!

    Very funny post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the stories we could tell about the things Mom does for us:) We loved your post. It's all about love.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Human has done all those things and more--though not necessarily for ME. I am an aloof, self-sufficient boy, and I have my sleepy places that are mine alone. I don't share with the Human. Life with me is rarely inconvenient for the Human--she kind of wishes it were, though, MOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How many times I slept in weird ways so I wouldn't "disturb" my babies, I can't count the times. Yep, we live for them :)

    Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh theese ones are good ones! Us kitties are something else aren't we!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ha... I am in good and sane company!!! :-) I am EXACTLY the same! Here's one in return... The cats love to drink water out of the tap in the bath tub (which they've always been used to). BUT... since we moved to Greece they can't drink water out of the tap - it's not drinkable. So what does a committed cat lover do? Sit on the edge of the bath tub and slowly slowly pour bottled mineral water. I have of course had to learn the right speed - too fast and it splashes too much :-)
    Greetings from Greece,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha. I am a few years late in reading this (I have a in box full of Canidae blog post to read - so I'll comment on some old ones. No harm I don't think in having a comment on an old post.) We have the "cat rule" in our house. If one of us has been lucky enough to be chosen as cat furniture, the other one has to be the gofer and get stuff so the "cat furniture" does not have to get up and disturb the cat. And I don't vacuum as often as I would like. :-) Oh and yes, I have sat on the floor while the cat has sat in my office chair.

    I love reading all the stories of love for pets. So cute. We have "cat songs" too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...