Friday, December 23, 2011

The Luckiest Cats

My Silly Annabelle
By Julia Williams

My good friend Kevin has been volunteering for his local animal shelter for many years. Kevin, aka meowmeowmans, writes about the homeless cats on his wonderful blog, Animal Shelter Volunteer Life. He tells of the lucky cats who find their forever homes, and he also features the many sweet souls still waiting to be adopted. I love to read the adoption stories, because I know just how much the lives of the animal and their new family will change for the better. I celebrate each of these adoptions, sometimes silently with a smile but very often with a “wahoo!” or a “yay!” In stark contrast, the stories of those not yet chosen make me melancholic. No animal should have to know abandonment and homelessness, yet far too many do.

Recently, Kevin posted about the kitties not yet chosen, and said he hoped they could find a home before Christmas. We know the reality is that most will not, and yet we can’t stop hoping that some will go from unlucky to lucky, if not before Christmas then at least sometime in the New Year. When faced with a reality that is less than ideal, hope is what keeps us going; it keeps us doing what we can do in the moment until a better time.

My version of a Christmas miracle would be loving homes for every homeless pet, nutritious food for every hungry pet, and love for every animal who is alone and lonely. I shudder to think what would’ve happened to my precious cats Rocky and Annabelle if I hadn’t been asked to water someone’s plants, only to discover two tiny kittens badly in need of rescue. If they had somehow managed to survive – which isn’t likely considering they were very ill and no one was caring for them – they wouldn’t have a better life than the one they have now, with me.

I don’t say that arrogantly. I say it because I know there is not a cat on this earth who has a better life than mine. There are certainly countless many pets who have as good a life, but not better. I can say that confidently because I know I am giving them everything they need to be happy, healthy and safe. I often ask them, “Do you know how lucky you are?” They don’t answer me, at least not in English, but I am positive they know.

We don’t live in an opulent mansion, but my cats don’t care. All they want for Christmas is a warm, comfortable place to sleep, copious amounts of the cat food they love, (FELIDAE, naturally!), and a kind two-legged friend who will pet them whenever they want. What kitty could want more than that? They truly are the luckiest cats. But given how much love, happiness and laughter they add to my life, I know that I am the luckiest one of all.

Read more articles by Julia Williams

17 comments:

  1. The only thing I'd add to my Christmas wish would be Spay and Neutering for all animals! Let's make pets a precious and anticipated family member.

    Meowy Catmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both those things are at the top of our list. The spaying and neutering and the homes for all the homeless kitties. Great post. All we can do is hope and hope that the kitties find homes. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SIGH..... I so wish those thingys fur all Cats and Dogs both.

    I would like to wish YOU and all those you LOVE a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and Or Happy Hanukkah .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our thoughts are with the homeless kitties this time of year too, hoping many will find loving homes very soon.... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia, as always, I simply couldn't agree more regarding your Chrismas wishes. Whenever I bring a new cat to the vet he always starts the examination by saying to the cat; "Do you know how lucky you are" - and I believe they do! And your Rocky and Annabelle were indeed very lucky you happened to be in that place at that time (I am sure you were meant to find them!). We are told that it can be many things with the beautiful Bessie (re. the ulcers on her tongue). The vet mentioned clamydia, corona virus, flu, feline leukemia and feline aids. She hasn't had blood tests or exrays yet. She has been so extremely weak (as the vet said, she was virtually dying when we brought her in!). We have had her back home for 2 days now and her breathing is currently severely impaired (it's acutally extremely distressing witnessing). But the vets here sadly do encocunter cases like this but where healing can take place, but it can take up to two months for the cat to heal. She is on a 14 day antibitotic course (on top of an antibiotic shot) and she will HOPEFULLY improve in this time span. I am willing her on because she epitomizes all the suffering strays and abandoned cats faces and I will do all in my power to change such suffering in the world - even if it is on a small scale. Anyhow I could go on... by God how they deserve a better life.
    Julia, I wish your Christmas miracle may come true. Have a blessed Christmas with your precious sweethearts.
    xo
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Purrs to all the kitties out there awaiting forever homes, may wonderful homes come to them shortly that spoil and love them all silly. Happy Holidays Julia and kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We agree...we wish there were no homeless animals...spaying and neutering can help towards that!

    Our mom says that when she dies, she wants to come back as a cat owned by someone like her! Y'know...we do have it pretty good!

    Merry Christmas, Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You wish is a wonderful one and we second that fur sure. We love what Kevin does and visit there all the time, a hero in my book he is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We agree too! We wish all animals had a furever home and hopefully that wish will come true in our lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure I do agree with you and Katnip lounge
    And Hoo ! Hoo ! Hoo ! I won't be around till next 3 weeks, But I would love to say...Merry Christmas !!!!
    I wish you and your kitties have a very best time and lots of presents.

    xoxo

    Puddy and Mom Boom

    ReplyDelete
  11. We loves meowmeowmans! He and the rest are the Best Humans Ever. And even those kitties that are not yet chosen are safe and warm and fed there, so they are already the lucky ones.

    We wish you a very Meowy Krissymouse!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love to read Kevin's blog too and wish for the same miracle - homes for all the homeless pets. At least in shelters like Paws they are cared for and loved.

    Merry Christmas from our house to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for writing about me and our blog, Julia! I'm honored that you would use us as examples in such a terrific article, for which I LOVED (as is always the case with your posts). :)

    Big purrs and prayers for a Christmas miracle like the one you described! Wouldn't that be awesome?

    Merry Christmas to (lucky) you and your lucky(est) cats, and big hugs to you all.

    Kevin, Tracey, Sammy and Moosey

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderfully written post Julia. Your sentiment is so simple, yet often so elusive for an over-abundance of animals that all deserve the dignity of a loving furever home. Your last paragraph was especially poignant and touching to me and I could not have said it better about my beloved gang.

    It has been a true pleasure to meet you this year and I wish you the happiest of holidays! Oh, I also appreciate your mention to Kevin (meowmeowmans) of Animal Shelter Volunteer Life - what a fantastic group of passionate and dedicated people they are!

    Warm Regards - Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. yes there IS a cat who has a better life than yours.......MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! hehehehe....

    BTW we LOVE KEVIN!!!

    We want all of the kitties in the world who do not have homes to find their furever homes!

    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely heartfelt post, Julia. I tell Austin he's the luckiest cat and he purrs his agreement by my side here!! I wish all cats and dogs could be so fortunate!

    Happy Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas dear friend. I have thought of you often, and your kindness.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...