Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year’s Resolutions for Cats

Rocky
By Rocky Williams, Feline Guest Blogger

Lately I have been hearing my hoomin, aka the Warden, talk a lot about something called resolutions. From what I gather, these are things that people resolve to change or improve about themselves in the New Year. Now, being a cat I generally think I am purrfect as is, and need not change a thing. However, just for fun I decided to make some resolutions of my own. Who knows, it might even inspire other cats who feel they need to improve upon purrfection!

According to just about everybody you could ask, the most popular New Year’s Resolution is some version of the “eat right, exercise more” mandate. But that one is just not necessary for me because I already eat great, thanks to the Warden. If there’s one thing she knows well, it’s how to tell which cat food is the good kind, and if she’s sold on FELIDAE that’s all I need to know. However, I suppose I could use a little more exercise to keep my handsome mancat body in tippy top shape. But just a little, mind you. I don’t want to become so muscular that every ladycat in town is meowing at my door for a date. I don’t have the stamina for that!

Speaking of food though, there are umpteen resolutions I could attempt. Such as, I resolve not to wolf down my own portions at lightning speed in order to “help” Mickey and Annabelle finish theirs. This will inevitably free up a lot of the Warden’s time, since she has to stand guard until those two painstakingly slow eaters empty their bowls. Talk about torture!

I could also resolve not to steal food from the Warden’s plate when she’s trying to eat it herself. Generally speaking, the paw is faster than the hand, which gives new meaning to the term “grab-and-go.” I always come away with something, but it’s not always something I want to eat. Case in point: the “mustard incident.” In a kind of slow-motion horror movie, the Warden watched as I mulled over what to do with a paw covered in mustard, until I finally decided to just put it down on the couch. That will teach her to eat in the living room!

I could resolve not to eat the Warden’s bread in the middle of the night, but it’s not really necessary since she started using the microwave oven as a bread drawer. Foiled again, at least until I figure out how to open that thing! I could resolve not to dig in the garbage, but this one is also not necessary since the Warden installed baby-proof latches on the cabinet door where the can is kept. Oh, I know! I will resolve not to scare the Warden by trying to get the cabinet door open, which makes a nice loud bang-bang-bang noise in the middle of the night.

I resolve not to conveniently forget where my scratching post is and use the living room carpet instead. What? You mean that’s not my own personal wall-to-wall scratching pad? Who knew! I resolve not to eat the Warden’s important papers, even though it is kind of fun to see her horrified face when I do. I resolve not to nibble on the Warden’s bare flesh when the opportunity arises. But in order for that one to stick, she needs to do her part – as in … don’t show your plump rear to me when you’re getting into the shower because hey, that’s just too much for any cat to resist taking a bite out of!

I resolve not to awaken the Warden in the morning by pouncing on her chest. I resolve not to yak furballs on the bedspread even though that’s where the Feline Handbook says we’re supposed to do that sort of thing. I resolve not to trip the Warden every time she heads in the general direction of the kitchen. But you know, I’m just trying to get there as fast as I can because that’s where the TidNip treats are kept! And no, I am NOT going to resolve to stop begging for more of those meowvalous treats because that would just be dumb.

Now that I’ve made my New Year’s Resolutions, do you think I intend to keep any of them? Well, of course I don’t! Do you intend to keep any of yours? I thought not.

***

Happy New Year, and I hope to see you all in 2012!

Read more articles by Rocky Williams

22 comments:

  1. Rocky, those are some mighty good ideas, but sure doesn't sound like fun to keep those resolutions. We aren't going to make any resolutions since there really isn't anything we need to change. We are in charge here and have everything under control. A very Happy New year to all of you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mustard on the couch? And you are alive to tell the tale!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocky, we're gonna go with your first statement and say we are PERFECT! No room for improvement here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. we think resolutions are overrated - unless we can resolve to get more treats.

    Cheers to you for a happy and healthy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't think kitties need to change a thing so no reason to make resolutions!

    PeeS: Our mommy talked about the New Year and tax season on our blog because she's a CPA (supposedly not a Cat's Purrsonal Assistant) so dreads this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with those resolutions Rocky. I think my own resolution will be to take up more of the bed. How mean is it for my own warden to allow me only half of the bed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allegra and Ruby think they're already perfect, so there will be no resolutions here.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I liked your post! My resolution is to quit making resolutions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grab and go, that's hysterical! My feline sister does this all the time!

    Your pal, Pip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rocky thank goodness you made an about-turn in reference to those resolutions, if you hadn't I would worry that you had turned into a DOG.

    I am with a number of the others, no need for resolutions for me, if I were to make any I would call them "intentions". My Mom says I am purrfect just the way that I am and as long as she's happy, I'm happy! We all know that "when Mama isn't happy, NOBODY is happy!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Human should resolve to eat (much) less and she would like me to resolve to eat (a little) more. I am quite svelte, but no one has called her that since....since....well, EVER. Ha ha meow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see you are a resolute mancat, Rocky! Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup.... you're dealing with cats here... no need for resolutions because they are purr-fect already!!

    Great post - Happy New Year to all and Best Wishes for 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great list, Rocky!! Charlie and Priscilla could take a few tips from you..Charlie woofs down his food like it's going of style! I hope you and the Warden had a wonderful holiday, and very, very happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Rocky, you're a mancat after my own heart, funny and practical and flawless, hehe!

    A very, very happy New Year to you, the Warden & kitties!

    Hugs,
    Tom, mom Julie & Mittens

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Rocky, you cracked us up! We thoroughly enjoyed your guest post and you come up with some excellent points! (Uh, yes beware of building up your biceps...it does attract the Ladycats as I have discovered.)

    We wish you all a 2012 filled with many blessings. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent guest post. Hope you have a very Happy New Year, filled with joy.

    Meg & Fin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boy I remember the first time I heard Admiral opening the cabinets in the night...whoa! Scared the hair off my head.

    Mom Carole

    ReplyDelete
  19. An excellent set of resolutions. Especially since you don't intend to keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tee-hee! Rocky if you follow these resolutions you might not need a warden! You are quite the mischievous boy.

    I'll join you in resolution-making. I resolve to eat more chocolate!

    Wishing you and your hoomin a wonderful 2012!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy New Year. And to answer your question... probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year, Rocky! We can relate to the one about "helping" Mickey and Anabelle with their food. Mom and Dad put those infernal baby-proof latches on our cupboards, too ... what a drag.

    Anyway, we think you have a great set of resolutions there, pal, and wish you and your whole family a very happy 2012! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...