Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Benefits of Dogs in the Workplace

By Langley Cornwell

Many years ago I worked for an uptight company. At this particular organization, we outsourced most of our marketing communication duties to local firms. Luckily, I had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time in a variety of creative environments. As you might expect, most of these businesses had a relaxed atmosphere and an upbeat feeling, much different from the office where I worked. Visiting those creative firms was a nice break from the strict corporate structure I worked in. There was one specific advertising agency that I gravitated towards more than the rest, however, and they continued to earn our business. For some reason their campaigns were especially fresh, exciting and on target. Not only did I find myself granting them the majority of our business, I also found myself spending more and more time in their offices. I liked being there for many reasons but I have to confess, the main I wanted to hang out there is because I fell in love.

I fell in love with their office dog! As I said, the environment I worked in was tight, but when I walked into their workplace I was greeted by a big, goofy, sweet mutt. Being able to step out of the rigors of my job, being able to pet and love and smell a dog in the middle of the day was like drinking a tall glass of cold water on a scorching hot day. Suddenly I had a better perspective on things; suddenly things didn’t seem so difficult. It was wonderful.

The owner of the advertising agency believed that having a dog in the office improved his employees’ creative output. He was convinced that he had a brighter, happier, healthier organization because of their four-legged mascot. I agreed with him, and longed for a job where I could take my dog to work with me.

Most of us know that sharing our homes with pets has a positive impact on our emotional and physical health. The Dogster Blog reports on a recent study in the International Journal of Workplace Health and Management. This study convincingly documents the fact that the positive effects pets have on us extend beyond our homes and into our places of work. I didn’t need a study to tell me that, though. Obviously, the workplace is where many of us spend a great deal of our time.

Being able to take your dog to work is not only good for you, it also benefits the dog. Dogs are social creatures; they love to be with their humans all day instead having to wait it out at home. More and more workplaces are getting on board with this concept. And even if you don’t work for a dog-friendly company like CANIDAE (which encourages their employees to bring their dogs to the office every day), you may be able to bring your pooch along on Take Your Dog to Work Day, which is June 22 this year. If you need some ammunition to convince your boss, visit the official TYDTWDay website.

And me? I finally did get a job where I can bring our sweet dog to work. It’s gratifying to have her with me all day. I feel a sense of calmness when I look up from my work and catch her eye. What’s more, I found that taking her out for breaks and fresh air is as good for me as it is for her. Clearing my mind once in a while allows me to come back to the task at hand with a renewed concentration, which I like. I tend to stay in at the office longer than I used to because I don’t have to rush home and let her out, which my employer likes. And having my dog at work allows me to be more productive and creative, which we both like.

Can you take your dog to work?

Photo by John O'Nolan

Read more articles by Langley Cornwell

8 comments:

  1. I used to be able too, but now it's a commute with a train ride, and I can't exactly hide Finn in a doggie handbag, so she has to stay home. Ugh, I miss those days though. It really made me a better worker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Mom works at home taking care of the grandbipeds, and Dad just retired, so we guess we have the best of both worlds, we get to be at home AND at work more or less. We think pups at work is a great thing. And just think of how much good dogs have done for kids in the schools and libraries and hospitals.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is probably so true. I feel like it would make people much more productive. Our Mom is retired so she stays home with us all the time so that is really nice. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For my comment, please go to http://theminnesotagirls.blogspot.com/

    I had trouble with the send and so the part that is missing is that I would hope every one who has a dog, can bring it to work. They just love being near you, and make you a better worker. And sometimes they teach you lessons!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a dog, but this would be so great. I know when I work from home, I am less stressed, which has a lot to do with the fact that our cats stick right by me the whole time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We could use an office dog where we work but we work for one of the most miserable people to ever walk the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WE LIVE IN AUSTRALIA, and it would be great if even here dog owners could have that possibility....
    We have instead two cats which actually I COULD NOT IMMAGINE MY LIFE WITH OUT THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE PART OF THE FAMILY!
    PETS AND ANIMALS IN GENERAL ARE GOOD FOR OUR HEALTH - THEY MAKE US HAPPY AND ARE OUR BEST FRIENDS AND FOR THIS WE SHOULD ALSO TAKE OUR RESPONSABILITIES AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF THEM ALWAYS. WE HAVE OUR CATS SINCE 2006,WE BROUGHT THEM FROM ITALY TO AUSTRALIA AND SINCE THEN WE HADN'T MADE ANY HOLLIDAY WITH OUT THEM - THAT MEANS WE RATHER DON'T GO ANY WHERE IF THEY CAN'T COME WITH US, AND THAT FOR ME MEANS TAKING RESPONSABILITY FOR YOUR PETS! LILIAN TUDORIN AND MATTHIAS EULER

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work in the restaurant business, I am sure my cats would love it there :). When hubby was in the hospital, some lady brought her dog as a ministry to make others feel better. I enjoyed the dog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...