Thursday, November 24, 2011

Why I’m Thankful for My Cats

By Julia Williams

Thanksgiving is a day when many people take a few minutes to think about what they are thankful for. Some families like to do this at the dinner table before the feast. I’m all for this Thanksgiving tradition, but for the last few years I’ve been trying to have an “attitude of gratitude” every day rather than just one day in November. Taking a few minutes each day to give thanks for the good things, large and small, helps me to see that even though things may not be perfect, I am truly blessed.

My “thanks giving” ritual is comprised of many different things, but always includes my cats. I like to give thanks that they are healthy, happy, safe and well fed. I also like to express gratitude for their loving presence in my life. These delightful, silly and sometimes sassy kitties make my life worth living, and I am eternally thankful for their friendship.

I’m thankful for the healing power of Purr Therapy, and how the simple act of having a happy cat on my lap or in my arms can make everything all right. I’m thankful there is always someone here who is willing to listen to whatever I want to talk about, even when I babble.

I’m thankful for cold, wet little noses that give me kitty Eskimo kisses. I’m thankful for the big bear hugs of my big fluffy boy, Rocky. I’m thankful for the funny way that Mickey gently touches my hand with his paw when I’m eating something he wants to sample. I’m thankful for the smile that always comes when Annabelle softly mews in the middle of the night, her way of asking me to lift up the bedcovers so she can crawl underneath.

I’m thankful for the joy I feel whenever I see my fur babies sleeping so contentedly by the warm fire, or curled up snug as a bug in their little bed. I’m thankful for the way their presence makes this house feel like a home. I’m thankful there is always someone here so that I never feel lonely or alone.

I’m thankful that I get to work from home and can take “pet breaks” whenever I like. I’m thankful for the way Annabelle cuddles with me, draping herself on my chest and over my heart. I’m thankful for the way she licks my face when I wrap both arms tight around her body and kiss her face.

I’m thankful for the many lessons these wise and beautiful beings have taught me throughout my lifetime. I’m thankful for the way they helped me heal and took away my pain. I’m thankful for the feelings of love they give and receive so freely.

I’m thankful that they are always happy to see me and eager to accept a pet. I’m thankful for the way they meet me at the door when I come home, as though they were waiting there all along for my return. 

I’m thankful that with cats in my life, there is always one thing that’s right no matter what else is wrong. I’m thankful for the peace and joy they add to my life on this day, and every day.

***

All of us here at the CANIDAE RPO blog wish you and your pets a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Photo by llaitner

Read more articles by Julia Williams

29 comments:

  1. Julia, I'm right there with you in your thankfulness. I know by the choice of your words and the soulfullness behind them how much of kindred spirits we are when it comes to these gorgeous gorgeous feline creatures. And how every human being hasn't discovered the power behind purr therapy is beyond me. Is there anything more soothing?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great photo! It is nice to get some extra snuggle breaks in throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful list! I agree with every single one of them. Happy Thanksgiving, Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful that I had my wonderful kitties Chinook and Sabs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the true words that touch my daily life too
    Happy Thanks giving xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful list, Julia! Thank you for sharing, and thank you even more for your ongoing friendship. Have a great Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Fanksgiving to you Kitties and your Mom too! We are grateful to know you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree! Our cats kind of end up at the end of the totem pole with so many dogs, they both have a way of letting me know it! So while they can be great aggravaters, I am lost without one of them on my lap or joining me in the computer room, dog free. When I am able to take that extra special time with them and the reason I fell in love with cats from my first one. :)

    Happy Thanksgiving, every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well we totally agree too. I try to give thanks every day for all my animals. I also try to put my hand on each one every day and play with them.
    WE sure hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No matter what else is going on in my life I've never ended a day badly since mine have been here with me. I feel ya sister...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is what Thanksgiving is all about. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We agree with efurrything! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a wonderful list, and I whole-heartedly agree with everything on it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic post. Love it! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! I love your phrase of 'attitude of gratitude', you're so right that it is what we should embrace and practise in our life everyday.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post Julia! Happy Thanksgiving - a day late.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved reading this. That is so very true. To me, my cats keep me sane, they give me unconditional love and support. They returned the love I gave them. I hope you had a great Turkey day;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Purr Therapy is the best. Best wishes to you! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. this was SUPERB! it was one of the best "thankful" lists I have seen!

    Cody and Annabelle and Cody seem to have the "draping across the chest" thing in common. It is one of my favorite things about Cody.

    Mickey and Cody seem to also both be tactile kitties. When I watch TV Cody will sit on the arm of the couch next to me and will actually reach his paw out to "hold my hand" lol.

    This was simply delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a precious thing to read. My little girl furbaby is so loving to me, it is always a pleasure to learn other furbabies are the same. Our furbabies return all the love that we give to them...unfailingly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Julia - I don't think I could have said it better! That was my favorite Thanksgiving post I have read this year and I am so grateful to have met you this year. It's funny - so much of what you touched on is the essence of the book I wrote - I am so, so, so, grateful and blessed for all my kitties give me on a daily basis and I love seeing that you feel the same way about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this “attitude of gratitude”. Brilliant! and a wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pets are love, and love makes a house a home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely post! Thanks fur stoppin by our blog. Happy Holly-daze!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful, and I feel exactly the same way about our little cat. I love that you're counting your blessings on a daily basis - I try to do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You raise some good points about being thankful everyday. And having pets really does make a house a home. I don't know what I'd do without mine because they have a way of making things seem OK no matter how bad things seem to be.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am just now reading this. This is great. I am thankful for this because I too am thankful for my cat. I am thankful for all the reasons you list, but I really am thankful for all that my cat teaches me. Animals are great teachers. Thank you for this Julia. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...