Friday, March 18, 2011

A Cautionary Tale for Mischievous Kitties

By Rocky Williams

Rocky here, and today I want to share a cautionary tale for all of my feline friends. I shall call it, “Curiosity didn't kill this cat, but meeeeoooow, my mouth is on FIRE!”

I am what you would call a “nosy” cat. I have to check everything out, and my rule of paw is, “everything in the house belongs to me!”

It's a simple rule, really…if I find it, it's mine and I can do whatever I want with it.  That probably explains why the Warden rarely leaves anything out on the kitchen counter, because I confiscate it immediately if it looks like something I might want to eat or play with.

Bag of chips? Mine, all mine! Crackers? Mine. Package of pasta? Mine (but only until I rip open the bag to find out this stuff tastes awful!). Pens and pencils? Mine. Roll of paper towels? Mine – and oh, what a fun toy this is! I bite and claw the roll until all of the paper is shredded and little pieces are everywhere! The only thing better than a roll of paper towels is a new roll of toilet paper placed on the holder for me to unravel square by square.

For sure, I do have a great time with all of the things I find here. But today I saw something on the counter I'd not seen before, so of course I jumped up to claim my prize. It was long and skinny, shiny and bright red. Was it food? It didn't have much smell to it, so I decided it would be a cat toy instead.

I pushed it to the floor and proceeded to bat it around. Woo-hoo, this was fun! It was very light and I flipped it high up into the air. I caught it with my paws and my teeth.

I was having the time of my life…until my teeth tore a chunk of this long, skinny bright red thing off. The piece was in my mouth, and my mouth was on fire!

Ack! Gag! Cough! My eyes watered and I staggered to my water bowl, lapping furiously to try to put out the flame inside my mouth.

Finally, the fire was out. The warden came into the room, took one look at the red shiny thing with a chunk missing, and laughed.

“Hahaha! Rocky, that's not a toy, you silly cat. It’s a cayenne pepper.”

NOW she tells me!

Flickr photo by sfroehlich1121

Read more articles by Rocky Williams

7 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor thing! I also believe that everything is mine and had a similar incident with a cactus!! I didn't eat it but it hurt anyway. Those things bite!

    Glad you're feeling better, Rocky!

    Delilah
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is funny. I might have to buy one of those just to teach all these guys a lesson. I am lucky here that not too many get on the counter. But they will shred the TP and the paper towels. It is their favorite thing to do. Thanks Rocky for telling us about your fun games. And that Mom laughed at you. Norty girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness!! We hopes you don't do that anymore. Hugs and nose kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, poor Rocky!! I hope you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh myyy!! That is a funny post but I was scared because depending on what you could pick up it could have dire results.
    I am always obsessed with picking things up that either of my pets could get into....you just never know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor guy! That stuff must've been really hot. Especially to a poor little kitty cat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...