Monday, May 4, 2009

Introducing Julia Williams: RPO Blogger & “Crazy Cat Lady”

By Julia Williams

I started writing for this blog more than a month ago, but neglected to write an introduction because, frankly, writing about myself is my least favorite topic. Nevertheless, it’s only proper that I tell you a little bit about who I am and what I’ll be writing about here, in the future.

Although I do like dogs, bunnies, horses and a host of other creatures great and small, I am primarily a cat person. I don’t mind the stereotypical “Crazy Cat Lady” label either, since it’s mostly true. I’m crazy about cats, and couldn’t imagine a life without them.

I’m not sure where my affinity for felines comes from, because neither of my parents are “pet people.” Yet, as far back as I can remember into my childhood, I’ve felt deeply connected to animals. I vividly recall watching Western movies, not blinking an eye when dozens of men got hurt during the fight scenes, but bawling my eyes out the moment a horse went down. When Bambi’s Mom was shot, I was inconsolable. In my young mind, I didn’t understand that all of this was just “make believe.” As an adult, I still feel this profound connection to the animal world. Forced to choose between people and animals, I would probably choose the animals. If that makes me an oddball in any human’s eyes, so be it; I can’t change the way I’ve felt since birth, nor would I want to.

On an old episode of Sex and the City, Samantha said to Carrie, “Women with candles replaces women with cats as the new sad thing.” It's not the first time I've heard people say how bad they feel for women who love cats. I fail to see what’s so sad about loving, and being loved by, cats. They are affectionate, intelligent and always-amusing creatures. I know many people think cats are incapable of loving, but here’s the thing: you get what you give. Cats are anything BUT aloof to those who really, truly love and respect them.

Over the years, I’ve had many wonderful feline companions. My only regret in loving my cats so much is that their time here with me is so short. Yet, while they are here I feel blessed by their presence, and honored to be their “Mom.” My current cat menagerie includes Mickey, Annabelle and Rocky. The gorgeous long-haired black cat in the photo with me is Rocky.

My friends call Rocky my “problem child” because he is always in trouble for something. Thanks to Rocky, I had to install baby-proof latches on my garbage cabinet. When I eat, I need to guard my dinner like a hawk – I learned the hard way that Rocky can grab a chicken breast and run off with it much faster than I can stop him. He’s also prone to swishing his big fluffy tail in the caramel foam of my homemade version of a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato, and then flicking the foam all over my wall. Rocky has also gotten up into the cupboards where I store the Felidae dry cat food, dragged the bag down to the counter, chewed a hole into it and spilled six pounds of kibble onto the kitchen floor. Talk about a feeding frenzy!

Annabelle is Rocky’s sister, and she’s the belle of my house. If I’m having a hard day, I need only look at her sweet black-and-white face with a little black diamond on her nose, and my spirits are lifted. Belle is a cat who can never, ever get enough brushing. We have a ritual of “brushing time” right after her breakfast, on my bed. If I’m late for this, she will sit on the bed, staring at the door, until I come in to brush her.

Mickey is my ten year old kitty, and he’s the “lap cat” of the house. He’s a very sweet, loving soul, but if breakfast is late because I have the audacity to sleep in, he will run back and forth across my body until I get up. He is also a black cat, but with short fur. I like to joke that “all my cats match,” since I have two black cats and a black-and-white one. I do have minor OCD issues, but I swear I didn’t plan that!

As for me, I have always been a writer. Some people are lucky enough to instinctively know what career path they are meant to take. As early as high school age, that’s how I felt about writing. I earned my Communications Degree, worked in “corporate America” for eight years as a copywriter, and then took the leap into freelance writing. Fifteen years later, I’m still doing freelance work and loving every minute of it. Truthfully, I couldn’t imagine my life any other way. Writing suits me, and it’s an intrinsic part of who I am.

My posts here will primarily be cat related. I hope to inspire, amuse, educate and entertain you with my words. If there is a particular topic you are interested in, please let me know and I’ll do my best to cover it.

Read more articles by Julia Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...