Saturday, December 4, 2010

Great Quotes Inspired by Cats and Dogs

By Julia Williams

Our pets have inspired many witty sayings over the years. Considering the extraordinary bond many of us forge with our four-legged friends, it should come as no surprise. Pets make us laugh and they make us cry; at times they even make us shake our heads and wonder “why.” Pets are, above all else, a source of great inspiration to me and to so many others. I could fill a book with all of my favorite quotes about cats and dogs. Here are just a few of them. 

Great Cat Quotes

“A kitten is the delight of a household. All day long a comedy is played by this incomparable actor.” - French novelist Champfleury

“It is impossible to keep a straight face in the presence of one or more kittens.” - Cynthia E. Varnado

“The cat is above all things, a dramatist.” - Margaret Benson

“No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.” - Leo Dworken
“I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not. Mine had me trained in two days.” - Bill Dana

“Some people own cats and go on to lead normal lives.” - Unknown

“If there were to be a universal sound depicting peace, I would surely vote for the purr.” - Barbara L. Diamond

“Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.” - Anonymous “I gave an order to a cat, and the cat gave it to its tail.” - Chinese Proverb

“In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.” - English proverb

 “Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often simultaneously.” - Louis F. Camuti, DVM

“I put down my book, The Meaning of Zen, and see the cat smiling into her fur as she delicately combs it with her rough pink tongue. Cat, I would lend you this book to study but it appears you have already read it. She looks up and gives me her full gaze. Don't be ridiculous, she purrs, I wrote it.” - from Miao by Dilys Laing

 “There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.” - Unknown

“As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat.” - Ellen Perry Berkeley

“Time spent with cats is never wasted. - This quote, by French novelist Colette, is my all-time favorite.

Great Dog Quotes

“The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.” - Anonymous

“The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.” - Andy Rooney

“There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.” - Ben Williams

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” - Roger Caras

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” - Josh Billings

“If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.” - Unknown

“You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, My God, you're right! I NEVER would've thought of that!”- Dave Barry

“Old dogs, like old shoes, are comfortable. They might be a bit out of shape and a little worn around the edges, but they fit well.” - from the 1991 book, Old Dogs, Old Friends: Enjoying Your Older Dog, by Bonnie Wilcox

“I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better.” – from the book Troubles with Bird Dogs by George Bird Evans.

“Even the tiniest Poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart.” - Dorothy Hinshaw Patent in Dogs: The Wolf Within (Understanding Animals)

“To err is human, to forgive, canine.” - Unknown

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.” – Unknown

“I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking, and he'd look at me like he was saying, If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.”- Fred Jungclaus

 “If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.” - cowboy wisdom

So there you have it, my personal list of favorite quotes inspired by cats and dogs. If you have some great quotes of your own that I’ve not mentioned, please do share them with us!

Read more articles by Julia Williams

3 comments:

  1. Those are great quotes. I love putting them on my blog. Makes everyone smile. I am sorry you didn't get more comments on the giveaway. I think people get way to busy trying to comment on too many blogs. But we tried anyway. Hope you have a great week end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's definitely no snooze button on a cat who wants food or attention.

    Great quotes, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "In the dark, all cats are grey." James Bond in Ian Fleming's, You Only Live Twice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...