Earth Day is upon us and CANIDAE All Natural Pet Foods is committed not only to pets, but to our environment as well. So, what’s all the ruckus about? Well, to keep it simple – Earth Day was designed to bring awareness of our world into our living room. The protection of our animals, as well as our pets, comes down to our commitment in saving our environment.
Did You Know?
- The patron Saint of ecologists is St. Francis, who also happens to be the patron saint of animals.
- Earth Day is celebrated in more than 175 countries.
- After Christmas and Halloween, Earth Day is the largest celebrated holiday in schools.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to watch TV for three hours –the equivalent of a half gallon of gasoline.
- More than 20 million Hershey's Kisses are wrapped each day – 133 square miles of tinfoil. All that foil is recyclable.
- The Peace Bell, made from coins donated by school-children to further peace on our planet, is rang every Earth Day at the United Nations.
- More than 100 billion plastic bags are thrown away each year in the U.S., the equivalent of dumping 12 million barrels of oil. More than 1 million birds and 100,000 marine mammals and sea turtles die each year from them.
- If all U.S. households installed water-efficient appliances, we would save more than 3 trillion gallons of water and more than $18 billion per year.
- Plastic doesn’t biodegrade so it can persist for centuries. All the plastic that has ever been made on earth is still around and will exist long after we’re gone.
- In 2007, 56 percent of the paper consumed in the U.S. was recovered for recycling — an all-time high. That’s nearly 360 pounds of paper for each man, woman, and child.
Find out where the nearest Earth Day celebration is to you and learn what you can do to help the environment that we all count on! Visit the Earth Day website today.