Friday, June 12, 2009

Proper Veterinarian Care – Lady Bird

First and foremost I would like to thank those of you who offered your prayers and best wishes for Lady Bird. I thought I should share with you how she is doing.

I can’t stress enough the importance of working with a highly qualified veterinarian who cares about your pet almost as much as you do. If it weren’t for VCA All-Care Animal Referral Center in Fountain Valley, California, I can’t say what the outcome would have been. Even though it’s an hour drive each way, they have highly qualified specialists on staff as well as a state of the art facility that made it all well worth it.

Lady Bird spent 48 hours in intensive care and in an oxygen tank. She was on intensive medications to remove the fluid buildup around her heart and lungs. It was touch and go the whole time but the caring staff never gave up and offered her the proper treatment she needed. All-Care allows visits even after hours so I went down to visit her. As I was waiting to go in the back room I heard Lady Bird's little familiar bark, I think she knew I was there. The nice vet tech brought me in the back to where Lady was in the recovery room. Lady lit up when she saw me and was wagging her tail. The vet tech laid out a mat on the floor so I could sit down and spend some quality time with Lady. She was aware but very weak and fragile. I spent over an hour just being with her as I knew it could possibly be the last time. The hardest thing was to say goodbye and leave her behind. I laid awake all night fearing the dreaded call that she had passed, thank God it never came.

I called first thing in the morning and they informed me that she had made it through the night and if everything went well she could come home that night. What a feeling of relief! I was able to go down that night and get her. They gave her the following medications that I am to give her twice per day: Spironolactone, Pimobendin, Enalapril, Furosemide, Clavamox, and Maxiguard oral gel. It was quite challenging in the beginning due to the fact her appetite was off due to all she had been through. She was very weak for a week or so and then started to show signs of improvement. She has been back to the vet twice to monitor her blood work to make sure her kidneys can handle the medications. She just got back and the vet was amazed at her progress. She couldn’t believe how well Lady looked and how good she is doing. Lady is back going to work with me every day and sharing sleeping duties on the staff's laps. She is energetic, happy and doing well! I spend as much time with her as I can and cherish every moment I have with her.

by Scott Whipple – CANIDAE Pet Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...